Mondo.NYC 2020 Showcase Wraps Up with Three Featured Showcases, 62 Artists & Bands from 22 Countries
MONDO 2020 REIMAGINED
MONDO.NYC 2020 SHOWCASE WRAPS UP WITH THREE FEATURED SHOWCASES, 62 ARTISTS & BANDS FROM 22 COUNTRIES
NYC’S LEADING ARTS, MUSIC AND MEDIA EVENT HOSTED BREAKTHROUGH ARTISTS FROM AROUND THE GLOBE
CARPATHIAN PEAKS, SWISS LIVE TALENTS, BMG X MONDO & MUCH MORE
MONDO 2021 DATES ANNOUNCED: OCTOBER 12-15, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: New York, NY October 30, 2020 – 62 live music showcases accompanied four days of industry panel discussions, keynote conversations and networking events at the fifth anniversary Mondo.NYC conference and festival held virtually October 13-16, as over 5000 viewers were inspired by more than 250 leading music, arts, media and tech executives and entrepreneurs, a three-day film festival, a curated showcase music festival and much more.
Mondo 2020 hosted three featured highlight showcases:
• Carpathian Peaks • Swiss Live Talents Showcase • BMG x Mondo Carpathian Peaks saw Mondo.NYC joining forces on opening night with Hungarian Cultural Center, New York, and Budapest Showcase Hub to present, for the first time ever, four up and coming artists from the Carpathian Basin: Apey (Hungary), Ficture (Slovakia), IV-IN (Romania) and OIEE (Hungary). Carpathian Peaks was preceded by the Mondo panel “Off the Beaten Track: Before & After COVID in Central Eastern Europe,” during which key music industry executives from the Carpathian region shared their thoughts on rising artists, catering to local audiences and the future of the regional festival industry. Carpathian Peaks showcase artists: • Apey, a singer-songwriter with classic American folk-country influences, inspired by Neil Young, a storyteller with a uniquely Eastern European way of self-expression. • Ficture, a solo artist in the style of Amon Tobin, combines microsounds, manipulated acoustic instruments and field recordings with drums and synths on excursions to downtempo, EDM and bass music. • IV-IN is in the spiritual vein of Nicolas Jaar, blending minimal electronica/house music with a hint of folk. He describes his music is a “natural movement in a synthetic world,” characterized by acoustic elements, noise and an experimental approach to producing. • OIEE boasts a mix of electronica, nu-disco, dance and R&B with a classic European feel, not unlike that of Jamie XX. His instrumental sounds blend with tropical house, techno, disco and trance elements, topped with modern soul-like vocals, leading to an unconventional and uncompromising sound.
Mondo was proud to welcome back its longtime partner Swiss Live Talents, presenting four extraordinary artists live from the chalet of Claude Nobs, the late legendary founder of the Montreux Jazz Festival, perched high above Lake Geneva in the magnificent Swiss Alps.
Swiss Live Talents featured Pat Burgener, Veronica Fusaro, Shana Pearson and Alejandro Reyes.
Swiss Live Talents showcase artists:
• Pat Burgener, champion snowboarder and musician, has enjoyed great success performing at world-class venues like the Montreux Jazz Festival, Sion Sous les Etoiles and the Gürten Festival. Pat’s guitar pop is all about spreading sunny and bright vibes, even more important in the challenging times of the day.
• Veronica Fusaro, from the northern side of the Swiss Alps surrounded by music influenced by her Italian roots, Veronica offers soul pop full of organic and raw sounds, honest lyrics and a unique, intriguing voice that skillfully balances between the depth and playfulness of her music: pure, powerful and intimate.
• Shana Pearson’s music is eclectic, energetic yet touching. After an intense year of touring across New-Zealand, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, France and Switzerland with over 80 concerts in 2019, Shana has served up a fresh pop summer tune "Steal You,” already racking up over one million views.
• Alejandro Reyes – Chilean-born Swiss-reared singer songwriter, Alejandro has a passion for music, a naturally charming voice and an incredible determination that propelled him from playing guitar on the streets to performing his unique brand of Latin pop on Europe’s biggest stages, TV and radio channels.
For its debut partnership at Mondo, BMG presented an eclectic mix of conversation, education and a showcase of four extraordinary new talents: Sophie Auster, Brother Hawk, Roanoke and The Suitcase Junket.
Leading up to the BMG showcase, Mondo welcomed producer Jerry “Wonda” Duplessis (Justin Bieber, Wyclef Jean, Mary J. Blige, Shakira), BMG EVP John Loeffler and songwriter/vocalist extraordinaire Rufus Wainwright for a roundtable conversation on the biz and the music, past, present and future.
BMG X Mondo showcase artists:
• Sophie Auster’s music is replete with fantasy and escapism, a sonic fusion of bluesy folk-pop with cabaret dramatics reminiscent of Lana Del Rey and Sara Bareilles. The New York Times called her "sultry and folksy,” with “soul (and teeth) baring lyrics...that’s drawn comparisons to Fiona Apple and Gillian Welch.” Elle Magazine dubbed her “Auster on Fire.”
• Brother Hawk plays big, bluesy, soulful rock that feels classic (in the Allman Brothers/Lynyrd Skynyrd-ian sense of the word) while still leaving plenty of room for modern alt-rock grooves (think My Morning Jacket or Band of Horses). They’ve established themselves around the Southeast, up the East Coast and in Europe.
• Roanoke Rising through the ranks of Nashville’s thriving Americana scene, Roanoke has grown from their folksy roots into a seasoned, road-tested rock outfit, retaining an affinity for storytelling and rich vocal harmony that has won over audiences time and again with songs at once timeless and youthful, seamlessly blending a '70s aesthetic with modern sensibility.
• The Suitcase Junket is Matt Lorenz's vision, developed in the tension between the grand and the solitary. Grand in its imagery, sound and staging; solitary in its thrift and self-reliance. What instruments he requires, Lorenz builds from scratch and salvage. What parts five players would perform, he performs alone. The spectacle of his one-man set bears constant comparison to legends of showmanship, brilliance, madness and invention.
More Mondo. NYC 2020 Artists to Watch: • AGAT – Israel • Andrew Cassara – Canada • The Cordial Sins – Columbus • Silvana Estrada – Mexico • Melody Federer – Seattle • Gangstagrass – Brooklyn • Lithic – Los Angeles • Moorea -- France • Needshes – Uzbekistan • Arjuna Oakes – New Zealand • Petrobot – New York • Piqued Jacks – Italy • Pluto's Doubts – North Macedonia • Rae Isla – Brooklyn • Andreas Schulz – Germany • Surma – Portugal • Two Step Flow -- Brazil • Jackie Venson – Austin
Additionally, Mondo was proud to present its first-ever “Songwriters Coffee House Live Carousel,” with Brooke Eden (Nashville), Porcelan (Memphis) and Twysted Genius (Mississippi).
Finally, following his keynote conversation with Recording Academy Chair and Interim President/CEO Harvey Mason Jr., Recording artist Aloe Blacc, performed a special rendition of “Wake Me Up,” the global megahit co-written by Avicii and Blacc, exclusively for the Mondo audience.
All in all, in addition to four packed conference days, Mondo.NYC presented 62 artists showcasing over four nights, a diverse and dazzling array of emerging artist talent from 22 countries from all corners of the globe including, in addition to those already listed, Greece, Japan, Palestine, Sierra Leone, South Korea and the U.K.
Mondo.NYC has announced its 2021 dates, returning as a hybrid physical and virtual event to Brooklyn October 12-15, 2021. To learn more about Mondo.NYC, visit
For marketing, sponsorship, partnership and business opportunities, please contact Bobby Haber
# # # About Mondo.NYC
Mondo.NYC is a festival and global business summit of music and tech industry insiders and innovators, emerging artists and their fans. Mondo connects fans and creators in a shared mission of empowering artists and advancing ideas in an ever-changing music business and technology landscape. For more information please visit .
Official Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn