Principal, Hughes Strategic
David has over 25 years' experience in online music distribution. He began at Sony Corp. in Tokyo before moving to Sony Music in New York where, as Vice President of Technology Strategies and Digital Policy, he created and ran the industry’s first online distribution department.
In 2006, David joined the RIAA in Washington, DC where for 15 years he represented the major recording companies’ technology interests as CTO. Since April 2021 David has been a strategic business and technology consultant. Clients include the RIAA, SoundExchange, Jaxsta, Song Sleuth and Switchchord. He is also a founding member of AI:OK, an initiative formed to provide a sustainable and equitable approach to using AI in the music industry.
David has contributed to numerous formats and standards including MPEG, DVD-Audio, SACD, Blu-ray, Ultraviolet, ISRC, ISNI and DDEX. He has also been active in the promotion of Hi-Resolution and Immersive music.
David has a B.A. Honours in East Asian Studies from the University of Alberta and a Master of Management Science degree from the University of Tsukuba, Japan. He is a member of the Audio Engineering Society and the Recording Academy, sits on the National Recording Preservation Board, and is inventor of over a dozen patents.
AI: Opportunity or Apocalypse?
10/10/23, 5:00 PM
Albhy Galuten (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albhy_Galuten), Martin Clancy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Clancy), and others will discuss the opportunities and the challenges associated with Artificial Intelligence in the music ecosystem. Is it just another invention like the synthesizer or electric guitar or is it the end of life (and income) as we know it for musicians and writers?
Some areas to be covered include:
• AI generated voices including copying famous voices, living or dead
• Who gets paid? Compensation to musicians and writers for training from their songs
• Automated Stem Separation (automated Karaoke/music minus 1)
• Limiting Training Sets, can you learn from my song without my permission?
• AI Songwriting tools
• Finding Songs for Sync licenses from impossibly large catalogs
• AI Production, Mixing, and Mastering tools
• Adding transparency around who created and performed the song
• Who owns the copyright?
• Is AI creative?